This sweet potato and cumin salad is fantastic hot or cold, on its own or with chicken or cold meats. I love this time of year as we head towards summer, which for me signals a change in what I eat. It’s the perfect time for healthy salads, full of colour and texture. It’s so easy to make and can be made ahead of time, so is great for leftovers the next day. The sweet potato and beetroot are full of antioxidants making it a healthy choice.
- 500g sweet potato – cut into 1cm cubes
- 25og baby beetroot – cut into 1/2cm cubes
- 3 tsp of cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (refined)
- 1 cup of baby spinach
- 1 cup of baby kale
- 1/2 lemon squeezed
- 250g tin of chickpeas (drained)
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200c and line a baking tray with baking paper
- Combine the sweet potato with 2 tbsps of cumin seeds and 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- Mix the beetroot with the remaining cumin seeds and oil and wrap in foil
- Place the veggies on the baking tray in the oven for about 30-minutes or until tender
- Meanwhile combine the washed spinach and kale with the chickpeas
- When the veggies are cooked, add them to the spinach mix, squeeze over the lemon juice, season with salt and pepper and lightly toss. Try to avoid staining the sweet potato with the colour from the beetroots.